Thursday, October 18, 2012

Winterstar -- chapter one


Chapter One
Weak. That’s what this species is. They need... something better, thought the old man. He was sitting in his tiny living room, a crackling fire flickering in the small fire place. He sat in a large, red cushioned chair that seemed to take up half the room. He was a renowned scientist, but no one cared about science. “Never did, never will,” he always said. He was generally a bitter man, having lost his parents at a young age, and his wife a year after their marriage. The rest of his family had moved on as he had stayed in his small apartment, working on his science.
Finally he thought he had found the best thing he could give the people. Something that made them less weak. Surely now, they could fully achieve their wildest goals, and also become the strongest species in the universe. For, as everyone thought, this was not the only world.
But first he needed to test it.
At the sound of his door opening, he knew the perfect subject. His servant, who he allowed the liberty of going to school, has just arrived back. It was a very diligent subject, keeping silent about his works, and willing to take any strange substance he gave it. Yes, it wouldnt think twice about participating.
“Hey, get in here,” he snaps. Sounds of something being dropped on the ground, a bag perhaps? Then footsteps coming down the hall. It came in, arms crossed. It was young, younger than he was. Good, youth would help it in this case.
“Yes master?” it asks.
“I need you to stay here for a couple months.”
An expression plastered itself across its face. An expression of... annoyance? Impossible, it didn’t feel emotion.
“Of course master.”
So obedient. If only past servants had been more like this.
“Good. Now leave.”
It nods its head, turns, and leaves, its footsteps retreating far into the apartment. To its room maybe? He didn’t care what it did, as long as when he needed it do something it would obey.
He leans back and closes his tired eyes. His body was beginning to fail him, of that much he was certain. But he also knew he had enough time to fix the problem of weakness. What would the serum attack? What elements would it alter to cure weakness? Great strength, great wisdom, and greater senses. A subjects appearance may also be added to or taken away as to make them stronger. But physical abilities wasn’t the only cause for weakness. Yes, emotions and memories, thoughts and personality. He would have to alter it all. He would have to change the subjects very soul.
He grins. In other worlds this would be deemed impossible, but he had all the tools necessary to accomplish this. Something he would need to gather. Remove the strength aspects from creatures and implant them in his subjects. Yes, that would eliminate the weakness.
***
My name is Devin.
I was named this because my parents wanted a boy. When I was born and they found they had a girl, they kept the name the same. So I’m Devin.
I grew up in Mooshu where my parents were the treasurers of the Emperor. It was a life of comfort... for the most part. I was the only human wizard of my age. I was friends with the other palace children, but there was always the gap of species between us.
When my parents finally enrolled me in Ravenwood, I was beyond happy. Finally I could be with others like myself.
But on the day I was to fulfil my enrollment the palace was attacked. A group of Berkshire ninjas lay siege of the palace and stole a good portion of the gold. Both my parents were mortally wounded. I wouldn’t be going to Ravenwood yet.
Berkshire was the name of the man who constantly raided caravans, random civilians, and houses. Mooshu was the hardest hit every time. Next was probably Krokotopia.
I stayed by my parents sides for a month. Then there was a second raid, only this time it was done single handedly. I was a ten at the time, disobeying my mother’s command to run as the palace halls were set ablaze.
I ended up with a foster father after this, too young to fill in my parents jobs. He was nice, odd though. Always gave me strange requests to help him with his job. Finding various things, boiling this, peeling that. I felt like a chef at times.
My life there was peaceful in a sinister way. I felt like there was something more to myself. I just didn’t know what. Like I was walking through a dream, and I was blind trying to find my way out of a maze. Sometimes I felt panicked. Strange images would surface in my mind, and I would burst out crying. Father would hold me then, give me a glass of water and calm me down. The images would fade, and I would remember what was what.
The only thing that felt real was school, the only outside privilege I was allowed. I always looked forward to it. Though I started late, Headmaster Ambrose gave me extra credit projects and quests to help me level. And to think I was never under any stress between my boatload of school work and the house work.
Everyone always told me I was smart. I caught up and surpassed my fellow classmates. Sometimes, however, I felt as though it were a test of some sort. A way for me to prove my worth to...
To whom?
I had no idea.
I always thought Father would answer it, but now that will never happen. He died just hours ago. He was old, older than I thought when he first took me in. He asked me for a final banquet. I did my best and prepared the most extravagant feast I could put together. Later on in the evening, while he sat in his large, red chair, he breathed his last.
I didn’t shed a tear for him. All I did pack away his things, throw my few possessions into a bag, then traveled to Ravenwood. Hoping the Headmaster would provide me with a dorm.
Now I sit in a red chair, much like Father’s, and wait nervously as the Headmaster shuffled through papers.
“I know it’s here somewhere,” he muttered. “Right here... It was right here a moment ago.” A stack of papers fall and scatter everywhere about the floor. The Headmaster doesn’t even pause as he snaps his fingers and the papers fly back into place. “Ah, here it is.” He yanks out a piece of paper and hands it to me.
I take it. Across the top in bold lettering read: Dorm Application Form. I look up at the old man. “Thank you sir.”
“I’m very sorry for you loss. Just hand this to the boy outside of the dormitories by Torrance. He’ll give you the key and room number.”
Again I thank him, grab my bag and leave the tower. Outside was twilight, the sky fading from pale, blue-yellow to velvet navy, a couple stars already shining out. I pause for a moment, take out my quill, and fill out the form against the stone wall. I review it quickly, and satisfied with it, I cross the Commons.
I quickly pass through the Ravenwood tunnel, the inside cold from lack of sun, and slightly wet from a previous days rain. Just as promised, a boy a few years older than I stood outside, dressed in flaming red a yellow robes. I make my way up to him and silently hand him the application.
“Well, welcome Miss Darkwater. I do believe there are a couple dorms still empty. The new semester starts soon.” He unhooks a brass loop from his belt that clanked with five bronze keys. He gives it a good, long, hard stare before releasing one with a star shaped handle. “Here, this one opens dorm seventy-four. Way up, you’ll enjoy the view.”
I nod and take it. “Thank you.”
I turn to the tall, stone tower. I go up to it and insert the key into the lock. The feeling of teleportation envelops me and suddenly I’m standing on a mat, facing an octogonal room. The floor was wood, the walls stone. Four windows looked out onto the Ravenwood school ground, and the top of Bartleby.
I set my bag on the floor and walk around.
There was a bed against one wall, its covered red with gold stitching of the pattern of Ravenwood. Two white pillows were at the head. Next to it was a short night stand, consisting of a drawer and a candle on top. At the end of the bed was a folded up, patchwork quilt. At the foot was a large, ebony chest. I smirk, guess they knew what school I was.
A desk was a opposite the bed, a padded stool tucked under it. I opened the four drawers on it and found stacks of paper, extra ink wells and quills, as well as the books I would need for the new semester. Next to it was a tall wardrobe. Inside was a thick coat for the winter months, as well as boots and a hat. A school bag also hung from one of the brass pegs.
I look out the windows to find that if I look out everywhere straight all I can see is a dark blue-gray void, dotted with stars. A few clouds floated here and there, and every now and again a bird would squawk then soar up from the branches of the World Tree. I could see some of the schools, losing sight of Fire, Death, and Myth behind Bartleby.
However all I could see was Ravenwood, everything was just out of the windows sight.
Sighing, I turn back to the wardrobe and unpack my few possessions. Robes, boots mostly, then two hats. The ratty old book that contained all of Father’s important notes. I had looked at it many times, but I didn’t understand any of it.
What was H2O? And what about the little flame symbol following that next to the number 212o F? The bulleted notes under the heading ENZYMES made even less sense. And then there were pages and pages on the experiment of a bird-snake hybrid.
I had given up on trying to make sense of it, but had taken it all the same.
Other possessions was my mothers gold, thumb ring. It was too small for my own thumb, but fit well on my left middle finger. The gold was old and losing its shine, and dark spots were starting to appear. It was old, older than it seemed. Words had once been inscribed on the inside, but from its constant use of wearing they had worn away.
Next was my fathers glasses. Not many people used glasses because medical magic could easily fix that problem. I don’t know why my father decided to keep his glasses, but that just made them all the more special. They were thin and rectangular, with dark silver frames. The glass was thin, but when I put them on my whole world would blur and I would become dizzy.
The last was a gnarled, old willow stick. It wasn’t a staff or wand, it wasn’t magical in anyway. I had found it when I was little in the Jade Palace courtyard. It was on the ground, and at first I didn’t know what it was since willows didn’t grow in Mooshu. My mother had identified it and told me that, because this anomaly happened, it was a sign of good omen. Ever since I’ve kept it close, for good luck. So far it hasn’t worked. I’ve thought about throwing it out, cursing my bad luck, but I’ve kept it. I’ve developed a sentimental attachment to it.
Completely irrational, I know.
I set the ring and glasses next to the candle on the nightstand, and Father’s book in the drawer. I hang my clothes, then set my own school supplies on the desk. Something on the wall, catches my attention. I hadn’t seen it before since I had been taking in everything else, but now I noticed a series of symbols painted on the wall.
They were pictures of a flame, a drop of water, a fork, and the sun. Clearly they were magical, as was everything. I touch the fork one gently. With a soft ‘pop’ that still startled me, I turn to see a wooden box on my bed. Walking over and looking inside, I find a steaming bowl of chicken soup and a roll, as well as a note.
Becoming hungry from looking at the food, I take the the roll, then read the note.

Dear Miss Darkwater,
Welcome to your Ravenwood dorm! Make yourself at home, you’ll be officially assigned to this dorm for the rest of your schooling, lest you purchase a house and renounce your dorm application. The new school semester begins at the end of the week (four days). A student tuition fee of 5,000 gold will be billed at this time, as it will be every semester. This will ensure and keep your enrollment in Ravenwood.
We’re glad to have you here:
-Ravenwood Faculty

I set down the note. Five thousand gold per semester? I had just over seven thousand at the moment. I hope questing and item selling will bring that back up so I can stay for the second semester. Father had always paid my tuition. Where he had found all this gold was beyond me. He was a mysterious man, and I had never really bothered to wonder.
I look out the window as I start on eating my soup. It was really late now. I blink a couple times, telling myself I wasn’t tired. But I was.
When I finished the soup I set the bowl back in the wooden box and it vanishes. I set the note next to the glasses and ring, change into a nightgown, let my dark-dark blue hair out of its ponytail, blow out the candles, and climb under the covers. They were warm and soft.
I lay awake. Though tired and ready to sleep, it wouldn’t come. I gazed around the dark room. The silhouettes of the windows shadowed the floor from the stars light. It was a different place, a different environment. It was the same feeling I had felt when I first stayed with Father.
The room had been chilly and the bed uncomfortable. I was nervous about my future, and sad about my loss. But I had told myself that was behind me, the past, history. I was facing the spring after a harsh winter.



By:
~Emma Dawnrider

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're commenting? Great! Comment away...